Disclaimer: I will not actually be eating witchetty grubs. I am not on Survivor. They are disgusting and, although I love food, nothing that looks like this should ever be considered food. 

July 3, 2009

11 days, 9 hours, 14 minutes

That is how much time I have left.


Until I leave for Sydney, I mean. You ask: why am I going to a place where people eat weird things and say even weirder things, all while trying to avoid the thousands of poisonous creatures that could kill them in under 2 minutes? Well, I'm going to be studying at the University of Sydney for the next five months on a study abroad program. And I couldn't be more excited. As my sister keeps complaining, I'm obsessed with Australia. You know those 500 page guide books that most people just skim through to find a good restaurant or hotel? Well I've read about 3 of them. Cover to cover. It's not that I'm lame and have no life... I'm just determined to make the most out of my experience there.

On my To Do List: eating vegemite, bushwalking (hiking for you Yanks) through the Blue Mountains, scuba diving at the Great Barrier Reef, climbing Ayer's Rock, maybe even bungee jumping in New Zealand.

My friends right now are questioning whether they are reading the right blog. See, anyone that knows me knows that I'm not exactly a nature person... My version of spending time in the great outdoors is lying by the pool listening to my iPod. And as my roommate Dana can attest to, bugs are not my friends. I scream bloody murder anytime a spider gets near me. Once, I was so scared, I almost fell out of the shower... because I saw a ladybug. Yes, a ladybug.

But, I am determined to get over my fears. I will do everything I earmarked in my guide books. I will hike, and climb, and jump. I will experience Australia like a true adventurer. I mean, what's the worst that can happen?

3 comments: