Disclaimer: I will not actually be eating witchetty grubs. I am not on Survivor. They are disgusting and, although I love food, nothing that looks like this should ever be considered food. 

July 29, 2009

Harry Potter on the Biggest Big Screen



Sunday night, two friends and I decided to go see Harry Potter 6 at the Darling Harbour IMAX (told you I'd be returning shortly). According to the signs outside the theatre, it has the biggest screen in the world, so we figured this would make an epic movie even more epic. It was playing at 6:00pm and 9:15pm, so we left at 4:30 to get tickets for the 6 o'clock show. But, by the time we got there at about 4:50, it was already sold out. So, we bought tickets for the 9:15pm showing and figured we'd just wander around the harbour until then. We got a nice sit-down dinner (which we hadn't had in a while) at this great restaurant right on the water. I had pumpkin soup and a salad with tuna, eggplant, and rocket. It was delicious and we took our time, figuring that by the time we were done it'd be HP time. But no. When we finished, it was only a little after 6. So, we spent the next few hours wandering around the Harbourside Mall, looking at stores, contemplating which Sydney activities we should do, and checking out the food court to see what I want to eat next time I'm there (I've decided on Beef Vindaloo from the Indian stand). At about 8pm, we got our movie snacks (fudge for Kate, fries - I mean chips - and chilata sauce for me) and went back to the IMAX to wait in the queue.

We were the first ones outside the doors and we entertained ourselves with numerous cell phone games until the doors were to open at 9pm. There was also this woman from Canada who kept listening to our conversations and commenting like she was our friend. I'm all for friendliness, but this was just kind of weird. But she was nice enough so we talked about travel with her for a little. Then, at a few minutes to 9, the doors opened and I was the first one in the theatre. Yes.



The movie was great! The screen really is huge and it was incredible to see the movie in that setting. The opening sequence was in 3D and it looked awesome. I literally thought Harry was sitting on my lap (or maybe I was just wishing?). Another good thing about seeing it in an IMAX theatre is that the seating arrangement makes it so no heads are the way of the screen. It was just a great way to watch a movie. I definitely want to see more movies in the IMAX Theatre. Maybe I'll even see Harry Potter again?

2 comments:

  1. Only you would devote an entire post to Harry Potter in your Australian adventure blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI JACKIE!
    I AM ENJOYING YOUR BLOGS SO MUCH - AND THE PICTURES ARE AMAZING - I MISS YOU BUT LOVE KNOWING YOU ARE DOING SO MANY NEW AND WONDERFUL THINGS [AND TRYING SO MANY NEW AND WONDERFUL [?] FOODS!] KEEP SAFE UNTIL WE BLOG AGAIN.
    XO AUNT LYNN

    ReplyDelete